Dr. R. Brawin Kumar
Post Doctoral Fellow
I am interested in studying the distribution, ecology and status of threatened, lesser-known small mammals for conservation. I mainly work on two rare mammal species such as Paraechinus nudiventris and Cremnomys elvira. I am aiming to further strengthen scientific works, heighten the public awareness and build capacity for the conservation of lesser-known animals in India.
- Kumar, B., Anitha, K., Watve, A., Mani, S., Rehel, S. and Arisdason.W (2011). The status and distribution of aquatic plants of the Western Ghats. Chapter 6, pp. 73-86. In: Molur, S., Smith, K.G., Daniel, B.A. and Darwall, W.R.T. (Eds), The status and distribution of freshwater biodiversity in the Western Ghats, India. Cambridge, UK and Gland, Switzerland: IUCN, and Coimbatore, India: Zoo Outreach Organisation. 116p. [PDF of the complete book available on IUCN website].
- Kumar. B, (2010). Isolation of metal degrading bacteria from metal industry soil. Proceedings of TNSCST, DBT, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi. 291-292 pp.
- Kumar. B, (2012). My Prickly Friend, the Mulleli! Blackbuck Newsletter - Madras Naturalists’ Society. 28 (1–4) 44-50.
- Kalaimani, A., Nath, A., and Kumar, B, (2012). A note on records of rare and endemic Duttaphrynus hololius (Günther, 1876) from Tamil Nadu, Eastern Ghats, India, Frog Leg December 2012, PP. 27–30.
- Kumar. B, (2013). Small Mammal Conservation Awareness Programs in Tamil Nadu, India. Small Mammal Mail 5:(2) 23-25 pp.
- Kumar. B, and Iyer, P, (2013). Pledge for Hedgehogs, Zoos Print Journal 28: 1-3.
- Ganesh. S.R., Kalaimani, Anukul, N., and Kumar, B, (2013). First observations on the larval characteristics of Gunther’s toad Duttaphrynus hololius (Gunther, 1876) Herpetotropicos. Vol. 9 (1-2):05-08.
- Kumar. B, (2014). Small mammal awareness programme for local communities in Tamil Nadu. Small Mammal Mail 6:(1) 24-28.
- Raghavan, R., Dahanukar, N., Philip, S., Iyer, P., Kumar, B., Daniel, B., & Molur, S. (2015). The conservation status of decapod crustaceans in the Western Ghats of India: an exceptional region of freshwater biodiversity. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, 25(2), 259-275. DOI: 10.1002/aqc.2490.
- Kumar. B, (2015).Small Mammals Conservation Education programmes in Tamil Nadu. Small Mammal Mail 7(1) 26-27.
- Kumar. B, and Nijman (2016). Medicinal uses and trade of Madras Hedgehogs Paraechinus nudiventris in Tamil Nadu, India. TRAFFIC Bulletin, 28(1):7-10.
- Tariq, A., Sadia, S., Pan, K., Ullah, I., Mussarat, S., Sun, F., Abiodun, O. O., Batbaatar, A., Li, Z., Song, D., Xiong, Q., Ullah, R., Khan, S., Basnet, B. B., Kumar, B., Islam, R., and Adnan, M. (2017). A systematic review on ethno medicines of anti-cancer plants. Phytother. Res., 31: 202–264. Doi:10.1002/ptr.5751.
- Kumar. B, Togo. J and Singh. R. (2018). The South Indian Hedgehog, Paraechinus nudiventris (Horsfield, 1851): Review of distribution data, additional localities, and comments on habitat and conservation. Mammalia. 83 (4).DOI: 10.1515/mammalia-2018-0128.
- Kumar. B, Babu. S and Kumara. H.N. (2018). Predicting the potential distribution of lesser-known endemic Madras Hedgehog Paraechinus nudiventris (Order: Eulipotyphla, Family: Erinaceidae), Southern India. Mammalia. 83 (5).DOI: 10.1515/mammalia-2018-0101.
- Kumar. B, Cheng. J, Ge. D, Xia. L and Yang. Q (2019).Phylogeography and ecological niche modeling unravel the evolutionary history of the Yarkand hare, Lepus yarkandensis (Mammalia: Leporidae), through the Quaternary. BMC Evolutionary Biology DOI:10.1186/s12862-019-1426-z.
- Kumar, B., Talmale, S.S. & Molur, S (2020). New Data on Morphometry and Appendicular Skeleton of South Indian Hedgehog Paraechinus nudiventris Horsfield, 1851 (Mammalia: Eulipotyphla: Erinaceidae) from Urban Landscapes of Tamil Nadu, India. Proceedings of the Zoological Society 73, 205–214. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12595-020-00321-x.
- Kumar, B., A total of 25 Tamil language articles were written in leading Tamil Magazines and Newspapers regularly on the subjects of biodiversity, conservation, and wildlife.In Tamil.
- Kumar, B., Risk life; The impressive fauna in semi-arid areas. Book Name: My wildlife conservation story – 35th anniversary of the China Wildlife Protection Association. 188-189 PP.In Chinese
- Kumar, B., 2018, A science article about "Ever Green Blossom – The Nature" is published on the www.guokr.com Chinese website on 21 December.2018.In Chinese
- Kumar, B., 2019, A science article about the South Indian Hedgehogs was published on the www.guokr.com Chinese website on 02. January 2019.
Talks and Posters
- Kumar. B, 2008, Renewable Energy Sources at SCAD College of Engineering and Technology Tirunelveli on 22nd and 23rd February 2008.
- Kumar. B, 2008, Isolation and characterization of alpha amylase isolated from sandy soil bacteria in contemporary trends in biotechnology on 12th and 13thJanuary 2008.
- Kumar. B, 2009, Global climatic changes on National Science Day celebrations in Gandhigram Rural University, Dindugal, India on 28th February 2009.
- Kumar. B, 2010, Production and concentration of extra cellular protease by solid-state fermentation in Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College, Sivakasi on 2nd February 2010.
- Kumar. B, 2010, Production, purification and concentration of extra cellular protease from by solid state fermentation in National seminar on frontier in biotechnology in SPK College on 3rd February 2010.
- Kumar. B, 2011, Metal industry soil and bacterial isolation procedures presented in ‘national seminar on microbes and man’ Sri Parama Kalyani College, Alwarkurichi, Tamil Nadu on 18th and 19th March 2011.
- Kumar. B, 2015, Conservation status of the Critically Endangered Large Rock Rat Cremnomys elvira in National Conference on Impact on Environment and Biodiversity 26th to 27th March 2015.
8. Kumar. B, 2015, Status and distribution of lesser known Paraechinus nudiventris (Madras Hedgehog) in three districts of Tamil Nadu, India” in 7th International Symposium of Integrative Zoology, 25th to 28th August 2015, Xi’an, Shaanxi province, China.
- Kumar. B, 2015, Small mammal conservation outreach for various stakeholders in Tamil Nadu, India at 5th Asian Zoo Educators Conference in South Korea (Conserving the Natural Environment and Biodiversity in Asia) on 7th to 12th December 2015.
- Kumar. B, 2019, Phylogeography and ecological niche modeling unravel the evolutionary history and climate change impact of the Chinese endemic Yarkand hare, Lepus yarkandensis (Mammalia: Leporidae) in Frontiers in Ecobiological Sciences and its Applications (FESA-2019) at Periyar University, Salem Tamil Nadu on October 16th to 18th 2019.
- Kumar. B, 2019, Potential impacts of climate change on Lepus yarkandensis (Mammalia: Leporidae) populations in the Taklimakan Desert, China in International Seminar on Biodiversity and Climate Change on 5th-6th December 2019.
- Kumar. B, 2022, Status distribution and conservation of lesser known South Indian Hedgehog (Paraechinus nudiventris) in Tamil Nadu, India in 9th meeting of European Hedgehog Research Group on January 13-14th 2022 Prague, Czech Republic.
- Kumar. B, 2022, Rediscovery of the Critically Endangered Elvira rat (Cremnomys elvira) in Eastern Ghats of Tamil Nadu, India based on geometric and genetic analysis in Eastern Ghats Symposium 2022 - Conserving biodiversity of the Eastern Ghats: Challenges and the way forward on 30th April to 1st May 2022.
- Kumar. B, 2007, Drug Designing in the Regional Seminar on Recent Trends in Biotechnology in Sri Parama Kalyani College on 23rd and 24th February 2007.
- Kumar. B, 2013, IUCN Red List assessments of Indian Orchids and Amphibians – Need an update in Student Conference on Conservation Science (SCCS) in JN Tata Auditorium, IISc, Bangalore on 25th to 28th September 2013.
- Kumar. B, 2016, Status and distribution of lesser studied, endemic Paraechinus nudiventris (Madras Hedgehog) in South Tamil Nadu, India in International Biogeography Special Meeting, Beijing-China on May 4th – 8th 2016.
- Kumar. B, 2018, Past oasis climate, rivers, aridification, drove the distribution, diversification, range shifts and demography of Lepus yarkandensis (Lagomorpha: Leporidae), in Taklimakan Desert, China in Annual Zoological Meeting of Institute of Zoology, Beijing on 15th November 2018.
- Kumar. B, 2019, Status, distribution and threats of South Indian Hedgehog (Paraechinus nudiventris) in Tamil Nadu in Student Conference on Conservation Science (SCCS) in JN Tata Auditorium, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore on 15th - 19th October 2019.
- Served as a resource person and delivered a talk on “Green umbrella” in PROKARYOS association in Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College, Sivakasi on 29th September 2009.
- Served as a resource person in the regional workshop on “Freshwater Biodiversity Conservation” organized by Department of Zoology, ANJA College, Sivakasi on 1st August 2014.
- Served as a resource person in the “One-day Biodiversity Conservation Workshop”, organized by Thiyagi Dharmakkan Amirtham College of Arts and Science, Kannirajapuram, Tamil Nadu on 13th February 2015.
- Served as a resource person in the one-day event on “Conservation of freshwater habitats and threatened species” organized by My School Satya Surabhi, Kodaikanal on 26th June 2014.
- Served as a resource person in the one-day event on “Bats importance and conservation” organized by My School Satya Surabhi, Kodaikanal on 12th November 2014.
- Served as a resource person in the one-day program on “Conservation of freshwater biodiversity” in Sri Kaliswari College on 9th February 2015.
- Served as a resource person in a two day “Biodiversity conservation workshop” in Payir nursery and primary school in Thenur village, Perambalur village, Tamil Nadu on 15th to 16th May 2014.
- Served as a resource person in a one-day program about “Biodiversity conservation” in Berijam Lake, Kodaikanal, Tamil Nadu on 18th May 2014.
- Served as a resource person in school children workshop and carried out a day session about “Bat conservation and awareness” organized by Kaanagam, Karur on 23rd May 2014.
- Served as a resource person in a regular meeting of “Lions Club International” Ambasamudrum, Tirunelveli on the title of “Mammal conservation and education” on 25th August 2015.
- Delivered a guest speech on the title of “small mammal ecology- what we know so far” in International Conference on Biodiversity Conservation in Sree Narayana College for Women, Kollam, India on 25th February 2016.
- Delivered a guest speech on the title of “Asian small mammal research-an update” in School of Biology, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Tirupati, Government of India on 05th May 2017.
- Delivered a delegate level talk on the title of “Youth – role in biodiversity conservation” at Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) -Youth Conference, Secretariat, Beijing on 12th June 2019.
- Delivered a guest speech at International Conference on “Microbes and Climate Change” at Department of Microbiology, Sri Paramakalyani College, Tirunelveli on 17th July 2019.
- Delivered a talk on the topic of “Environmental conservation and awareness” for the Kamaraj College of Education at Kanyakumari District on 16th August 2019.
- Served as a resource person and delivered a talk on “How to write a research paper and tips for publishing in Scopus/SCI indexed journals” in National conference on scientific writing in Holy Cross College, Nagercoil on 28th August 2019.
- Served as a resource person and delivered a talk on the title of “Microbial ecology in a changing World” in the Department of Microbiology, Scott Christian College, Nagercoil in December 2019.
- Served as a resource person and delivered a talk on the title of “Small mammal biodiversity and conservation research in Tamil Nadu” in Endowment talk, Department of Zoology, Holy Cross College, Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu on 24th January 2020.
- Served as a resource person and delivered a talk on the title of “Mammal research and opportunities” at ‘National Seminar on Trending Research Avenues in Biological Sciences’ organized by Department of Zoology, Sri. S. Ramasamy Naidu Memorial College, Sattur, Tamil Nadu on 31st January 2020.
- Served as a guest speaker and delivered a talk on the title of “New and future developments in microbial biotechnology” at International Conference on Novel approach of Biotechnology and Bioengineering in health care system, Department of Biotechnology, Prathyusha Engineering College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India on 06th – 07th March 2020.
- Served as a guest speaker and delivered a talk on the title of “Freshwater Biodiversity Conservation in Western Ghats” at Pasumpon Thiru Muthuramalinga Thevar Memorial College, Kamuthi, Tamil Nadu, India on 10th June 2020.
- Served as a guest speaker and delivered a talk on the title of “Conservation of Indian Biodiversity” on the occasion of Wildlife week celebration 2020 at Department of Zoology, Vellalar College for Women (Autonomous) Erode, Tamil Nadu on 08th October 2020.
- Served as a guest speaker and delivered a talk on the title of “Small mammals of Tamil Nadu” in Podhighai Charal – on 7th July 2020.
24. Served as a guest speaker and delivered a talk on the title of “Human Elephant Co-Existence” in Salem Nature Society, Salem, Tamil on 19th July 2020.
- Delivered a talk on the topic of “Bat Watching-session” organized by Crow Nest Monthly Biodiversity talk series, Chennai on 26th December 2020.
- Served as a guest speaker on the occasion of Earth Day- talked on the title of “Nature in our Cities: Meeting Up with the Madras Hedgehog” in Azim Premji University 22nd April 2021.
- Served as a guest speaker and delivered a talk on the title of “Madras Hedgehogs - Connect the Dots and Conserve them” HARITHKRAM The Environment Society Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, University of Delhi on 25th April 2021.
- Served as a special guest on the title of “The untold story of my spiny neighbour - The Madras Hedgehog” with the Environmental Studies group at Krea University, Andhra Pradesh on 28th September 2021.
- Served as a guest speaker and talked on the title of “Volunteer-powered research: Mapping and monitoring the Madras hedgehogs in Tamil Nadu” – for Wildlife Week Celebrations 2021 organized by Department of Zoology, Lady Doak College, Madurai on 1st October 2021.
- Served as a guest speaker and talked on the title of “Role of youth in Combating Climate Change” in Vellalar College for Women, Erode on 08th October 2021 on the occasion of Wildlife Week Celebrations.
- Served as a guest and conducted a one day workshop on “DNA taxonomy and phylogeny” organized by Department of Zoology, Vellalar College for Women, Erode on 15.03.2022.
Grants and Fellowships
- TAMIL NADU STATE COUNCIL FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY STUDENT RESEARCH PROJECT: Principal Investigator | ANJAC College, Sivakasi, TN | April 2009 –2010. Isolation of metal degrading bacteria from metal industry soil, Sivakasi, India.
- WWF INDIA SMALL GRANT PROJECT: Principal Investigator | Salem, TN | April 2013 – June 2014. Evaluation of conservation status of the Critically Endangered Large Rock Rat Cremnomys elvira.
- PALANI HILLS CONSERVATION COUNCIL, KODAIKANAL: Volunteer | Genguvarpatti, TN | May 2015 – August 2015. Documenting rare plants in tropical dry evergreen forests in Palani hills, India.
- RAVI SANKARAN INLAKS RESEARCH FELLOWSHIP – SMALL GRANT PROJECT: Principal Investigator | South Tamil Nadu | July 2016 – September 2017. Prickly spines and villagers: Understand the distribution, ecology and initiate conservation outreach for least studied, endemic Paraechinus nudiventris (Bare bellied hedgehog) in rural landscapes of south Tamil Nadu.
- THE CHINESE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES-THE WORLD ACADEMY OF SCIENCES INTERNATIONAL PHD FELLOWSHIP (CAS-TWAS): PhD Student |Institute of Zoology, Beijing, China| September 2015- July 2019. The influence of the Quaternary climate oscillations on phylogeographic history and range shift of Yarkand hare, Lepus yarkandensis.
- THE IDEA WILD- RESEARCH EQUIPMENT GRANT USA: Principal Investigator |October 2018. Conservation research on lesser-known hedgehogs in South Tamil Nadu.
- THE ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON ZSL-EDGE OF EXISTENCE FELLOWSHIP (ZSL-EDGE): Principal Investigator | May 2019- April 2021. Community based monitoring and survey to conserve the Elvira Rat (Cremnomys elvira) in Eastern Ghats of Tamil Nadu, India.
- SERB- NATIONAL POST DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP (NPDF), GOVT OF INDIA: Principal Investigator | February 2020- ongoing. Phylogeography, taxonomic reassessment of the endemic Indian rock rats in the genus Cremnomys (Rodentia, Muridae) to understand evolutionary history, climate change impacts for conservation.
- HOLOHIL GRANT PROGRAM (HGP), CANADA: Principal Investigator | February 2022- January 2023. Spatial Ecology and Home Range Study of Rare, Critically Endangered Large Rock Rat Cremnomys elvira from Eastern Ghats of India.
- The International Society of Zoological Sciences (ISZS) has awarded a travel grant to attend the “2nd International Training Course on Frontier in Animal Ecology and Conservation Biology” Institute of Zoology, Beijing China from 23rd November to 1st December 2014.
- The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy has awarded a travel grant to initiate the “International CAS TWAS PhD research study” in Beijing on 27 July 2015.
- The Zoological Society of London – EDGE fellowship has awarded a travel grant to attend the one-month training course on the title ‘Conservation tools training course’ in Borneo Island, Malaysia on 16th January 2019 – 14 February 2019.