- Anouch Tamian, Vincent A Viblanc, F Stephen Dobson, Peter Neuhaus, Tracey L Hammer, Anna P Nesterova, Shirley Raveh, Amy L Skibiel, David Broussard, Theodore G Manno, Nandini Rajamani, Claire Saraux. Integrating microclimatic variation in phenological responses to climate change: a 28-year study in a hibernating mammal. Accepted in Ecosphere.
- Mukherjee, S., Nandini, R., Karunakaran, P.V. & Khanolkar, N. 2021. Scientific contributions and learning experiences of citizen volunteers with a small cat project in Sanjay Gandhi National Park, Mumbai, India. Journal of Threatened Taxa 13(13): 19930–19936.
- Kumar H., Joshi V., Rajan A. & Lele A. 2021. First reports of Alida Angle from Tirupati. Zoo's Print. 10(10): 22- 24.
- Aravind, P. S., Joe, G., Dhanesh, P., & Nandini, R. 2021. Food habits of the Dusky-striped Squirrel Funambulus sublineatus (Mammalia: Rodentia: Sciuridae). Journal of Threatened Taxa 13(2):17827-17831.
- Varma V., Ratnam J., Viswanathan V., Osuri A.M., Biesmeijer J.C., Madhusudan M.D., Sankaran M., Krishnadas M., Barua D., Budruk M., Isvaran K., Jayapal R., Joshi J., Karanth K.K, Krishnaswamy J., Kumar R., Mukherjee S., Nagendra H., Niphadkar M., Owen N., Page N., Prasad S., Quader S., Nandini R., Robin V.V., Sait S.M., Shah M.A., Somanathan H., Srinivasan U., and Sundaram B. 2015. Perceptions of priority issues in the conservation of biodiversity and ecosystems in India. Biological Conservation 187(2015):201-211.
- Datta, A. and Nandini, R. 2015. Other Sciurids. Mammals of South Asia. (eds A.J.T. Johnsingh and N. Manjrekar) Universities Press, Hyderabad. pp 513-571.
- Robin, V.V. and Nandini, R. 2012. Shola habitats on sky islands: status of research on montane forests and grasslands in southern India. Current Science 103(12):1427–1437.
- Nandini, R. and Mudappa, D. 2010. Mystery or myth: a review of history and conservation status of the Malabar Civet Viverra civettina Blyth, 1862. Small Carnivore Conservation 43:47–59.
- Nandini, R. Kakati, K. and Ved, N. 2009. Occurrence records of the Bengal slow loris (Nycticebus bengalensis) in northeastern India. Asian Primates Journal 1(2):12–18.
- Nandini, R. and Parthasarathy, N. 2008. Food habits of the Indian giant flying squirrel (Petaurista philippensis) in a rain forest fragment, Western Ghats. Journal of Mammalogy 89(6):1550–1556.
- Nandini, R. and Sinha, A. 2008. Arboreal Squirrels. Current Science 95(7):809–810.
- Koprowski, J.L. and Nandini, R. 2008. Global hotspots, centers of diversity, and conservation of the tree and flying squirrels. Current Science 95(7):851–856.
- Nandini, R. and Karthik, T. 2007. Field observations of foraging behaviour of the yellow-throated marten (Martes flavigula) in Meghalaya, Northeast India. Small Carnivore Conservation 37:26–27.
- Robin, V.V. and Nandini, R. 2007. Birds of two worlds: the ecology and evolution of migration. Edited by Russel Greenberg and Peter P. Marra (Book review). Current Science 92 (5):692–693.
- Nandini, R. 2005. Predation by Forest Eagle-Owl Bubo nipalensis on Mouse Deer Moschiola meminna. Indian Birds 1(5):119.
- Rajamani, N., Mudappa, D.K. and Van Romapey, H. 2002. The status and distribution of the brown palm civet (Paradoxurus jerdonii) in the Western Ghats. Small Carnivore Conservation October: 6-10.
- Nandini, R. and Sinha, A. 2012. Disconnected canopies and flying squirrel presence in a landscape matrix in the Anamalai Hills, Western Ghats. Book Chapter In Forest Canopies of South Asia: A glimpse, edited by M. Soubadra Devy, T. Ganesh and Amrita Tripathy. Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment.
IUCN Species Red List Assessment
- Rajamani, N., Molur, S. and Nameer, P.O. 2009. Ratufa indica. In: IUCN 2010. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2010.4.
Talks and Posters #
- Nandini Rajamani and Smrithi Haricharan. How to read a scientific paper. Invited lecture at Cotton University. 22nd June 2021
- Shomita Mukherjee and Nandini Rajamani. Role of small/medium-sized carnivores in tropical ecosystems. Expert talk at Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav : 75 years of India’s Independence. Central Zoo Authority, Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change. 18th June 2021.
- Nandini Rajamani. Panelist in TED Circles TEDxPESU event: Appreciating Earth. 19th April 2021.
- Nandini Rajamani. Indian giant squirrel Ratufa indica. Expert talk at Bharat Ka Amrut Mohatsav: Commemoration of 75 years of India’s Independence; Theme: Conservation to Coexistence. Central Zoo Authority, 31st March 2021.
- Nandini Rajamani. How do small mammals adapt to change? Wildlife Week Celebrations, Pondicherry University. 21st - 22nd March 2021.
- Nandini Rajamani. Evolutionary adaptations and responses to rapidly changing scenarios. Resource Person talk: Refresher Course in Life Sciences at S V University UGC - HRDC, Sri Venkateshwara University, Tirupati. 26th February 2021.
- R. Brawin Kumar. Bat Watching. Crow Nest Monthly Biodiversity talk series, Chennai. 26th December 2020.
- Harsha Kumar. The fascinating world of butterfly behaviour. Karnataka Butterfly Festival. 13th November 2020.
- Nandini Rajamani. Modeling palm squirrel distributions with crowdsourced and traditional data sources. Invited talk Cataloging and Mapping Life of India: Biodiversity informatics in India. Tenth Webinar of Biodiversity Conversations, organised by Biodiversity Collaborative, India. 19th October 2020
- R. Brawin Kumar. Conservation of Indian Biodiversity. Wildlife Week celebration 2020 at Department of Zoology, Vellalar College for Women (Autonomous) Erode, Tamil Nadu. 8th October 2020
- Harsha Kumar, Senan D'Souza, Suyash Sawant, Viral Joshi and Nandini Rajamani. Influence of citizen science drives in documenting moth diversity of India. CitSci India 2020. 30th September 2020.
- Bishwarup Paul, Senan D’Souza, Swati Udayraj, Aravind P.S and Nandini Rajamani. Modelling palm squirrel distributions with citizen science, social media, and traditional data sources. CitSci India 2020. 28th September 2020.
- Bishwarup Paul & Sumana Annagiri. Investigating break-ins: Intraspecific brood theft in a tropical ant. Animal Behaviour Live: Annual Online Conference. 20th-21st August 2020.
- Bishwarup Paul & Sumana Annagiri. Investigating break-ins: Intraspecific brood theft in a tropical ant. 57th Annual Conference of the Animal Behaviour Society (Virtual). 30th July- 3rd August 2020.
- R. Brawin Kumar. Human elephant co-existence. Monthly Talk series of Salem Nature Society. 19th July 2020.
- Nandini Rajamani. Understanding evolution and behaviour of squirrels in India. Humes Cafe Scientifique, Wayanad, Kerala. 16th July 2020.
- R. Brawin Kumar. Small mammals of Tamil Nadu – an Introduction. Weekly Bio Meeting at Podhigai Charal. 7th July 2020.
- Nandini Rajamani. Adaptations of small mammals to cold in the Himalayas. Invited talk at the Annual Talks of the Nature Conservation Foundation, Mysore. 23rd June 2020.
- R. Brawin Kumar. Freshwater Biodiversity Conservation in Western Ghats. World Environment Day 2020 celebrations at Pasumpon Thiru Muthuramalinga Thevar Memorial College, Kamuthi, Tamil Nadu. 10th June 2020.
- Swati Udayraj. Panelist in The call of the forest organised by SQIL on International Forest Day. 21st March 2020.
- Nivetha M, Suyash S, Amira S, Shijisha AC and R Nandini. Evolution and significance of signalling traits in squirrels. IISER Tirupati Bio Day. 7th March 2020.
- Senan D'Souza, Harsha Kumar and R Nandini. Adaptations of small mammals to cold in the Trans-Himalayas. IISER Tirupati Bio Day. 7th March 2020.
- Nandini Rajamani. How do small mammals adapt to change? Invited talk at Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women, 21st February 2020.
- Nandini Rajamani. Evolutionary adaptations and responses to rapidly changing scenarios. Teacher Training Program, Sree Venkateshwara University. 11th December 2019.
- Nandini Rajamani. Birds - some natural history, behaviour and adaptations (high mountains & peninsular India). National Symposium on Avian Biology, Tirupati. 10th December 2019.
- Harsha Kumar and Nandini, R. Evolution of mouth markings in Estrildid finches in the light of competition and brood parasitism. National Symposium of Avian Biology, IISER Tirupati. 8th December 2019.
- Nivetha Murugesan, Viral Joshi and R. Nandini. Vocalization interaction between squirrel and bird communities: habitat selection, niche filling or camouflage? National Symposium of Avian Biology, IISER Tirupati. 8th December 2019.
- Nandini Rajamani. Evolutionary adaptations and responses to rapidly changing scenarios. Invited lecture in Topics in Biology 2019: Evolution and Ecology. The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai. 21st November 2019.
- Harsha Kumar and Nandini Rajamani. Evolution of burrowing and associated behavioral traits in Lagomorphs. Evolution 2019, Providence, RI, USA. 21st-25th June 2019.
- Senan D'Souza, Swati Udayraj and Nandini Rajamani. Understanding species limits and genetic connectivity, and modelling range shifts of marmots in the Indian Trans-Himalayas. Evolution 2019, Providence, RI, USA. 21st-25th June 2019.
- Nandini Rajamani. Small mammals in the Trans-Himalayan landscape and climate change. Invited talk at IIT Tirupati. 3rd April 2019.
- Nivetha Murugesan, Aravind PS and Nandini Rajamani. Acoustic signals of species recognition in palm squirrels. Bioacoustics meeting, IISER. 14 March 2019.
- Dhanesh, P., Aravind P.S., Senan D’Souza and Nandini R. Is commensal behaviour responsible for range shifts in a palm squirrel? ESI Annual Conf/Seminar on Animal Behaviour, Biodiversity and Human Future, Kozhikode, Kerala. December 2018.
- Senan D’Souza, Swati Udayraj and R. Nandini. Distribution and occurrence of two species of marmots in Kashmir & Ladakh. ESI Annual Conf/Seminar on Animal Behaviour, Biodiversity and Human Future, Kozhikode, Kerala. December 2018.
- Shijisha AC and Nandini, R. Coat color variation in Funambulus palm squirrels. Young Ecologists Talk and Interact 2018. Ahmedabad, Gujarat. February 2018.
- Harsha Kumar and Nandini, R. Evolution of mouth patterns in Estrildid finches. Young Ecologists Talk and Interact 2018. Ahmedabad, Gujarat. February 2018.
- Senan D’Souza, Swati Udayraj and R. Nandini. Distribution and occurrence of two species of marmots in Kashmir & Ladakh. Young Ecologists Talk and Interact 2018. Ahmedabad, Gujarat. February 2018.
- Nivetha M. and Nandini, R. Evolution of female-biased size dimorphism in gliding mammals. Young Ecologists Talk and Interact 2018. Ahmedabad, Gujarat. February 2018.
- Nandini Rajamani. Understanding distribution and modelling range shifts of sympatric small mammals in the Trans-Himalayas. AvH Kolleg, Aurangabad on Climate Change and Energy Options’. February 2018.
- Nandini Rajamani. Distribution and occurrence of marmots in the Trans-Himalayan regions of Kashmir and Ladakh. National Seminar on “Himalayan Biodiversity: Characterization and bioprospection for sustainable utilization”, University of Kashmir, Srinagar. August 2017.
Popular Writing #
- Vrushal Pendharkar and Nandini Rajamani. 2016. First marine biology institute for India. IndiaBioscience website, March 31, 2016.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2016. Foldscope events in India: the Northeast photoblog. IndiaBioscience website, March 16, 2016.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2015. Foldscope events in India: the Delhi photoblog. IndiaBioscience website, December 23, 2015.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2016. Science and careers at the India Alliance Annual Fellows Meeting. IndiaBioscience website, December 15, 2015.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2015. The first Young Investigators’ Meeting in UK. IndiaBioscience website, November 9, 2015.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2015. Furthering research dialogue between Europe and India. IndiaBioscience website, October 8, 2015.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2015. Upcoming people’s science congress in Bangalore. IndiaBioscience website, May 19, 2015.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2015. Integrating Research into Undergraduate Education: an interview with Utpal Banerjee. IndiaBioscience website, June 18, 2015.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2014. A feature-packed Next-Gen Technologies conference in Bangalore. IndiaBioscience website, November 7, 2014.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2010. Red light areas prevent close encounters. Current Conservation 4.1:3.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2010. Selling nests to save birds. Current Conservation 4.1:3
- Nandini Rajamani. 2010. Lessons from history. Current Conservation 4.1:34.
- Nandini Rajamani. 2010. Removing rats with care. Current Conservation 4.1:35.
- Nandini R. and Sane, S. 2009. Riding the wind between continents: the epic migration of dragonflies. MigrantWatch Blog.
* Cases where Nandini was the External Advisor
*Dhanesh P. 2018. Nest site selection in Funambulus palmarum. Master's Thesis, AVC College, Mayiladuthurai.
*Sanjay Prasad. 2019. Habitat selection of Indian giant squirrel Ratufa indica. Master's Thesis, Pondicherry University.
*Athira Aravind. 2019. Amplification and Sequence Analysis of Nuclear gene (EMB) of Indian Euphorbia species. Master's Thesis, Mar Athanasios College For Advanced Studies, Tiruvalla.
Shijisha AC. 2020. Coat colour variation in palm squirrels of the genus Funambulus. Master's thesis, IISER Tirupati.
Pranav Unnikrishnan. 2020. Explaining the evolution of colour & patterns in squirrels using meta-analyses and experimental approaches. Master's Thesis, IISER Tirupati.
Mrugank Dake. 2021. Statistical and machine learning approaches to squirrel acoustics. Masters Thesis, IISER Tirupati.
Anushesh Nigam. 2021. Macronutrient analysis of three-striped palm squirrel's diet. Masters Thesis, IISER Tirupati.