In this research group, we study the behavioural ecology and evolutionary biology of animal populations, often within the context of environmental and habitat change. We work across multiple landscapes in India, including the Trans-Himalayas, Western, and Eastern Ghats. Our model system involves species from the squirrel family (Sciuridae) but also extends to the Pikas (Ochotonidae). We also encourage public participation in squirrel data-gathering, through our citizen science initiatives.
This research group is based out of the Biology Department at IISER Tirupati.
Latest News #
- Swati Udayraj presents a talk on our work on the Squirrels of India database at the Cit Sci India conference. Talk title: Building a Database using Unconventional Sources: Squirrels of India, by Swati Udayraj, Senan D'Souza, Aravind P S, Nandini Rajamani
- Swati Udayraj presents a talk on our work on the Squirrels of India database at the TDWG 2022 conference. Talk title: Building a Database using Unconventional Sources: Squirrels of India, by Swati Udayraj, Senan D'Souza, Aravind P S, Nandini Rajamani.
- The Ladakh field season draws to a close. Big ups to the team of interns and lab members who helped in data collection. Shout-out to 'Technology for Wildlife Foundation' with whom, the Sciurid Lab is collaborating, on some exciting drone technology for habitat and burrow mapping.
- Swati Udayraj gives a talk on our work on the Squirrels of India database at the TDWG 2022 conference, October 17-21, 2022. https://biss.pensoft.net/artic...
- After months of work spread out over the year, the field work on the occurrence of palm squirrels across the Tirupati landscape is complete. Kudos to the large team of interns and lab members!
- Mingyur Rigzen's article, 'Melting Glaciers and Human Adaptability' is published in Sanctuary Nature magazine.
- Three Masters students who worked in the lab submit their dissertations over the summer - Keerthi O. and Harsha Jagadeesh from IISER Tirupati, and Rithika S. from Pondicherry University.
- The Eastern Ghats Symposium 2022 was held on 30th April and 1st May at the Marasa Sarovar, Tirupati, organised by Dr. Nandini Rajamani and team.